Useful Information for Living in Nagasaki

Residence and Immigration

18Nov 2011 Nagasaki-Ken
  • 转帖


The new Residency Management System began on 9th July 2012. A Residence Card (在留(ざいりゅう)カード zairyuu kaado) is issued to foreign nationals residing in Japan. The card bears information such as name, status of residence and period of stay, as well as a photograph of the holder’s face.

  The Special Re-entry Permit System has also been introduced. Foreign nationals in possession of a valid passport and Residence Card who will be leaving and then reentering Japan within 1 year of their departure to continue their activities in Japan will, in principle, not be required to apply for a re-entry permit. (This is called a ‘special re-entry permit’.)

  Foreign nationals who have departed from Japan on a special re-entry permit will not be able to extend that permit while abroad. Please note that such foreign nationals will lose their resident status if they fail to re-enter Japan within 1 year of their departure.

      NB: If your period of stay expires within 1 year after your departure, please ensure  that you re-enter Japan before the expiration of your period of stay.

☆ Immigration Bureau of Japan homepage:


☆ Further information on new Residency Management System:


☆ Immigration Information Center (for enquiries regarding immigration and residence procedures; various languages available)

                         Tel: 0570-013904       Email:

(from IP phone (e.g. Skype), PHS or overseas, Tel: 03-5796-7112)

☆ Fukuoka Regional Immigration Bureau

                        Nagasaki Branch Office Tel: 095-822-5289

                        Tsushima Branch Office Tel: 0920-52-0432

                        Access maps: