Banking and Postal Services

1. Opening an Account

18Nov 2011 Nagasaki-Ken

Savings accounts can be opened with financial institutions such as banks, cooperative banks, credit associations, agricultural cooperatives and the post office. Some form of identification and a personal stamp (inkan) is usually required, but most banks accept a signature instead of a personal stamp from foreign nationals who show their passports. Please confirm this with your bank beforehand.


Post offices are open from09:00until16:00weekdays (or until18:00in the case of Nagasaki Central Post Office). Most other financial institutions are open until15:00.



Types of Accounts


There are 2 main types of accounts:


Savings Account


A debit or savings account is called a futsūyokin or tsūjōchokin in the case of the post office. Interest rates are low, but money can be freely accessed with a cash card and utility bills can be directly debited.



Fixed Term Deposits


Fixed term deposits are called a teikiyokin or teikichokin in the case of the post office. Money is deposited for a fixed period of time and cannot be withdrawn until the end of the fixed term. Interest rates are better than that of a saving account.



Deposits and Withdrawals


Fill out the relevant form and take it along it with your bankbook to a bank teller. When you make a withdrawal, you must also bring the personal stamp (inkan) that you used when you opened your account. Depending on the amount of your withdrawal, it may be necessary to show identification. Some financial institutions also require identification when making a deposit. For more information, please enquire at your local financial institution.



Direct Debit


Instead of individually paying utility bills such as water, gas, telephone, electricity, NHK fees, taxes and other monthly charges, you can arrange to have the money automatically withdrawn from your account. This saves time and effort and also prevents payments being forgotten. Complete the appropriate form supplied by your bank, post office or other financial institution and submit them to a clerk along with a bill/receipt, your bankbook and personal stamp (inkan).



Using Cash Cards and ATMS


If a cash card is issued at the time of opening your account, this can be used at an automated teller machine (ATMs) or Cash Dispenser (CDs) to make deposits and withdrawals. Bankbooks are issued immediately, but cash cards are usually sent by recorded delivery a few days after an account is opened. When using your cash card, you will need to also remember your four-digit personal identification number (PIN), which you registered when you set up your account.



ATMs and CDs can be found not only inside branch offices of financial institutions, but also in train stations, department stores, supermarkets and other places. These can often be used outside of financial institution opening hours and on weekends. Operating hours and service charges for using machines outside banking hours vary between financial institutions. Cash cards can be used at the ATMs of other networked financial institutions for a handling fee.





If you lose your bankbook, seal or cash card, contact your financial institution and the police immediately. Do not reveal your PIN number to anybody.

If you move house or leaveJapan, remember to inform the bank of your new address.



2. Sending Money Overseas

18Nov 2011 Nagasaki-Ken

From the Post Office


Money can be sent to any country in the world from any post office that handles savings accounts. By filling in an international money order invoice form (kokusaisōkin seikyūkin), a postal money order can be sent to the address of the receiver or placed directly into the receiver’s postal or bank account. You must provide some form of identification when applying to transfer money. For some countries, it might not be possible to send money directly to a bank account. The currency of the transfer is always the currency of the country to which the money is being sent. The sender pays the transfer in Japanese yen (at the exchange rate on the day of application) and a handling charge.


Consult your local post office for more information. Post offices are open from9:00to16:00on weekdays, however, Nagasaki Central Post office is open until18:00.



From a Bank


Money can be sent to an account overseas by writing the name, address, bank name and account number and amount of money on a wire transfer request form (sōkin iraisho) at a bank that handles international transfers. For some countries, it might not be possible to send money directly to a bank account.



Alternatively, by filling in an international bank cheque request form (gaikokumuke sōkinkogitte mōsikomisho), you can have an international bank cheque issued which you can send overseas. Some form of identification is necessary when requesting this service. There are only certain banks which offer this service, so please consult the foreign exchange counter at your local bank for more information. Banks are open from9:00 to15:00 on weekdays.



Major Financial Institutions in Nagasaki Prefecture


● Nagasaki Chūo Post Office              1-1 Ebisu-machi,NagasakiCity   095-822-9580


● Nagasaki Kita Post Office   9-20 Kawaguchi-machi,NagasakiCity   095-846-5866


● Jyūhachi Bank (Head Office)            1-11 Dōza-machi,NagasakiCity   095-824-1818


● Shinwa Bank (Head Office)             10-12 Shimanose-chō,SaseboCity   0956-24-5111



4. Sending Parcels

18Nov 2011 Nagasaki-Ken

Domestic Parcels (Yū- pack)


If the sum of the length, width and breadth of a parcel is less than 170 cm, and weighs less than 30kg, it can be posted as a small parcel (called –pack). These can be sent from post offices and certain convenience stores. Postage charges depend on the object’s size and destination.



International Parcels


Parcels can be sent internationally via sea mail or airmail. Consult your post office for details about cost, maximum size, and area of coverage.



Delivery Service (Takuhaibin)


Private courier companies offer a parcel delivery service known as takuhaibin or takkyūbin. Many supermarkets, convenience stores and other shops act as agents. Services provided vary among companies, however many offer services such as specifying the delivery date and time, night delivery and/or refrigerated transport.



It is also possible to have your suitcases delivered to and from the airport when traveling.



3. Mail

18Nov 2011 Nagasaki-Ken

Letters and postcards are delivered domestically and internationally by the post office. Most post offices are open on weekends between 9:00and 17:00, but larger post offices, which deal with deliveries, are often open on weekends, holidays and after hours. It is advisable to send cash or other valuable items via registered mail (kakitome) and urgent items via Express Delivery Mail (sokutatsu). Ask at your local post office for further information and postage rates.


Facebook Auto Publish Powered By :